(and current Secretary) of The Guild of Food Writers
- Editor of The Vegetarian magazine, for the Vegetarian Society
UK, since 2000
- Resident food writer for Resurgence magazine
- Author of The Vegetarian Handbook and The Vegetarian Travel
Guide for The Vegetarian Society
- Author of the Collins Gem Guide to Vegetarian Food, also published as a series
of cover-mounted booklets by BBC Vegetarian Good Food Magazine
- Freelance tutor for the Vegetarian Society's
Cordon Vert Cookery School
- Judge at 2010 and 2012 International Cheese Awards
- Judge for 2010 Guild of Food Writers Miriam Polunin Prize for
writing on healthy eating
- Judge at 2011 and 2012 Cordon Vert Chef of the Future competition
- Judge for Sustain/Jellied Eel 'Best Sustainable Restaurant
in London' award 2012
I am currently writing recipes for the Love Food Hate Waste Campaign (click on 'Recipes' at the top of this
page to see them!) and writing three vegetarian/vegan cookery books which are scheduled for publication in 2013.
on vegetarianism in general and vegetarian/vegan food - esp celebrations of vegetarian food, and factual features covering
ethical/'green' food choices and healthy eating
- Food + Travel features and reviews
- Interviews with vegetarian
celebrities and chefs
- Restaurant and cookery course reviews
- Judging and panels
- Consultancy work including catering
for vegetarians and new product development
- Recipe writing (vegetarian and vegan)
- Cookery demonstrations
and teaching workshops
I’ve been a vegetarian
for 25 years. Some people go vegetarian for health reasons, some for ethical reasons. Some feel it is the ‘green’
thing to do. I think we’re overlooking one more important thing: vegetarian food is delicious.
Who says you can’t be a veggie and a foodie?
I can’t understand the visual appeal of a chunk of grey meat. The gorgeous colours, smells and tastes of fruit and vegetables,
grains and pulses, herbs and spices... that’s what gets me going. The way flavours can subtly mingle to create fantastic
new taste sensations. The way the alchemy of cooking can transform a root vegetable into a jewel.
cookery, and my food writing, is about celebrating vegetarian food. I cook with butter, cream, wine and cheese, making every
dish a sensual treat. I take care over how food looks, the colours, textures and contrasts on the plate, and the fragrance
that it creates in the kitchen. Who would plod along with meat and two veg when there is a world of vegetarian flavours out
there to explore?
Having been associated with The Vegetarian Society since the
1980s, I have a clear understanding of the meaning of the word ‘vegetarian’ and daily access to experts - the
people who know which beers are vegetarian, which cheeses are made without animal rennet, which chocolates are gelatine-free.
I have a BA in English and an MA in Scriptwriting for Television and
Radio. I also have 20 years’ experience of working in publishing, as an editor, production manager and small publisher.
Above all, I can deliver engaging, attractive features, on time, and often at short notice.
site contains samples of my work: interviews, food and cookery course reviews, features and recipes. You can also find my
writing at the following sites:
Read my blog: www.veggiefoodwriter.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter: @vegfoodwriter